The holiday so far!
- We’re staying in a little apartment on the hill above the village, with gorgeous views down into the bay and up to the mountains. The pool is fab too, though it’s a bit cold for me, and I’d much rather stick to the Med, which is deliciously warm here!
- Talking of which, we have made it to the beach, though we haven’t yet built sandcastle models of the Parthenon and the other usual monuments. Slacking, I know!
- I am of course sunburnt, despite my genuine best efforts to avoid this. On my chest too, which is doubly annoying considering the high necked bikini I ordered specifically for this trip didn’t arrive in time… In other tanning news, my arms continue to do completely different things when exposed to sunlight - my right arm is remarkably tanned, whilst my left has gone even more freckly than usual…!
- Thus far there has been surprisingly little archaeology, especially considering that this is my family, after all. We’ve made a brief visit up to Aptera, which we did at least do in the heat of the day, which is reassuringly typically us. We tried to do Knossos yesterday, but it tried to rain on us, so we hit up Heraklion instead, and Knossos will wait until later in the week, as will the other sites we’re considering.
- We may not have done much archaeology yet, but we’ve done our fair share of mountain driving, up tiny, winding roads, exploring little villages, ruined churches, and hidden rivers and waterfalls.
- Every dinner comes with free raki. So my alcohol consumption has upped rather!
- I’m also mainlining frappes and fanta, because the things they do to those drinks over here is honest to god witchcraft. I will be bulk importing both of those things on the way home from this trip, as per usual!
- The landlady person has a chinchilla. IT’S SO FLUFFY.
- I am in Minecraft withdrawal. But at least I have wifi!
- The wifi didn’t help for the F1 though, goddamn BBC’s regional restrictions on its live sports programmes… Sister’s boyfriend came to the rescue though, skyping us with the audio from the radio! I owe him much, especially considering the result! XD #FELIPEONTHEPODIUM
- Can’t believe we’re halfway through already! Feels like we’ve only just arrived…
Tuesday September 9, 2014 · 3 notes