Tuesday October 14, 2014 · 1 note
Holiday part two!
- We finally made it to Knossos, after an aborted trip that ended up in Heraklion when it threatened to rain on us (how dare it!). It’s a gorgeous site, and whatever your opinions on the validity of the reconstructions, they make the site something special.
- Chania is a lovely little town, just down the coast from where we were staying, and along with the little harbour and quaint, hipster-y backstreets they have the reconstructed Minoan ship that they built back in 2004. Cue much flailing!
- A drive through the mountains found us not only a ridiculous number of goats, but also our own Canyon of Woah - the Imbros Gorge. Not quite the Samaria Gorge, but still pretty impressive. We drove it though, because none of us have the fitness to have walked it…
- I got sunburnt again. I don’t even know how. But it’s only on my right arm…?
- Sister and I decided against a FLoB day walking up into the hills around the apartments, because the heat would have killed us. So we went to the beach and ate ice cream instead XD
Back home now, with the (unwanted!) tan fading, and the fourth load of washing on… *sigh*
Friday September 19, 2014 · 2 notes
Sand In My Shoes
Two weeks away it feels like the whole world should’ve changed
But I’m home now,
And things still look the same.
I think I’ll leave it till tomorrow to unpack,
Try to forget for one more night
That I’m back in my flat on the road
Where the cars never stop going through the night
To a life where I can’t watch sunset…
Wednesday September 17, 2014 · 11 notes
The holiday so far!
- We’re staying in a little apartment on the hill above the village, with gorgeous views down into the bay and up to the mountains. The pool is fab too, though it’s a bit cold for me, and I’d much rather stick to the Med, which is deliciously warm here!
- Talking of which, we have made it to the beach, though we haven’t yet built sandcastle models of the Parthenon and the other usual monuments. Slacking, I know!
- I am of course sunburnt, despite my genuine best efforts to avoid this. On my chest too, which is doubly annoying considering the high necked bikini I ordered specifically for this trip didn’t arrive in time… In other tanning news, my arms continue to do completely different things when exposed to sunlight - my right arm is remarkably tanned, whilst my left has gone even more freckly than usual…!
- Thus far there has been surprisingly little archaeology, especially considering that this is my family, after all. We’ve made a brief visit up to Aptera, which we did at least do in the heat of the day, which is reassuringly typically us. We tried to do Knossos yesterday, but it tried to rain on us, so we hit up Heraklion instead, and Knossos will wait until later in the week, as will the other sites we’re considering.
- We may not have done much archaeology yet, but we’ve done our fair share of mountain driving, up tiny, winding roads, exploring little villages, ruined churches, and hidden rivers and waterfalls.
- Every dinner comes with free raki. So my alcohol consumption has upped rather!
- I’m also mainlining frappes and fanta, because the things they do to those drinks over here is honest to god witchcraft. I will be bulk importing both of those things on the way home from this trip, as per usual!
- The landlady person has a chinchilla. IT’S SO FLUFFY.
- I am in Minecraft withdrawal. But at least I have wifi!
- The wifi didn’t help for the F1 though, goddamn BBC’s regional restrictions on its live sports programmes… Sister’s boyfriend came to the rescue though, skyping us with the audio from the radio! I owe him much, especially considering the result! XD #FELIPEONTHEPODIUM
- Can’t believe we’re halfway through already! Feels like we’ve only just arrived…
Tuesday September 9, 2014 · 3 notes
Everybodys Talkin (1969)
Artist: Harry Nilsson
I’m going where the sun keeps shining
Through the pouring rain,
Going where the weather suits my clothes,
Banking off of the North east winds,
Sailing on a summer breeze,
And skipping over the ocean like a stone…
Anyone would think I’m looking forward to going on our first family holiday in fourteen years…
Sunday August 31, 2014 · 1 note
Finally did the F1 Guessing Game with my sister! And proved that watching many hours of F1 2012 Let’s Plays clearly doesn’t help in this game much… (For “much” read “at all…”) XD
Purple Comic Sans was entirely necessary for this.
Vettel, Button, Massa, Hamilton, and Kobayashi she got right straight away, and nationalities for all of them except Vettel straight away too. She also tried to choose Hulkenberg for every answer, I swear…
Other choice quotes included:
- They’re all really familiar but yet I don’t know them…
- They range from distressingly attractive to very old looking
- Why are there so many Nicos?! God damn, there’s too many! Every sport gets one. Pick another sport Hulkenberg, racing is over for you!
- I’ll know which one Maldonado is by whichever one looks like he’s going to kill you the most
- (After I referred to Alonso and Guti as Brothers Eyebrows McGee) Attractive Eyebrows McGee and Distressed Eyebrows McGee
- Too many Germans! They’re too good. Get out the sport leave some space for some more countries… German children are clearly just birthed into racecars to see if they have The Gene.
- (After I said about Germany having so many WDCs) I just have to choose whichever team looks like they’re champions… Which of you guys LOOK LIKE WINNERS. Gotta have it in your eyes…
- I was not prepared for this test! I needed flash cards!
- None of you look very French, well, some of you do, but…
- Kobayashi, tell me your teammate, he’s in green, and I don’t know who he is…
- One of them’s Australian??
- I’m going to pick attractive names and put them with attractive people.
- You had too high hopes for me…
- I will not be beaten by a bunch of guys who drive cars for a living. They’re like really fast taxi drivers.
- SO MANY GERMANS.
- This is just a clusterfuck…
PS: FFS Tumblr, this has been an nightmare to post…. ¬_____¬
Wednesday August 20, 2014 · 23 notes
Just got my early birthday present from my sister - absolutely gorgeous astronomical embroidery by @hannahclairehughes :D Going straight on the wall in the new flat!
Monday August 18, 2014 · 1 note
So we’re pretty much moved in to the new place now, although we’re still waiting on the internet, and a good chunk of our stuff is still in piles of boxes, but we’ve emptied the old flat and handed the keys back to the landlord of doom (and are now awaiting the return of the deposit…) so I’m considering us Moved In.
New flat is and improvement in some ways, but not in others, so it’s all a bit swings and roundabouts - I guess I’ll see how I settle in. The old place felt like home within about a day for me, but this one doesn’t yet, even though the boyfriend is pretty settled already. I guess vanishing back home for a long weekend pretty much as soon as we’d “finished” moving (as I’ve done!) probably hasn’t helped, so that might be one reason why it doesn’t feel quite right yet! Plus there’s some more furniture we need to get hold of, like a new dining table, and a desk for me, as well as a cabinet for the junk that used to be on our mantelpiece, and having the internet will probably help too…!
Pros and cons behind the cut, for those who care XD
Monday August 18, 2014 · 0 notes
Wednesday August 13, 2014 · 0 notes
This = Love
Artist: The Script
It’s songs like this which make me wish I could edit videos. Because cut out the first verse and there’s an F1 / Felipe / Massa Mafia video building itself in my head. And I don’t have the skills to let it out.
This is why we do it,
This is worth the pain,
This is why we fall down
And get back up again.
This is where the heart lies,
This is from above,
Love is this, this is love…
Friday August 8, 2014 · 1 note
There was a post of these doing the rounds, but after checking out the artist’s gallery I decided that I wanted a different selection of pictures than on that post.
But seriously. How gorgeous are they?? Answer: VERY. I spent about an hour just staring at them and I just GUH. ART. How can something cause you physical pain just by being so goddamn beautiful??
They’re available as prints/canvases too. The only thing stopping me buying any is that I can’t choose which one(s) I want, because they’re all so amazing.
Saturday July 26, 2014 · 1 note